The dessert plates are ready, the spatula is poised, you are serving the first piece of the apple pie. But when you lift the piece out of the pie pan the crust crumbles and the slice of pie lies on the plate in ugly heap that is unrecognizable as pie The guests are waiting. What should you do?
These are a few simple solutions to rescue a failed apple pie. So give your guests an extra cup or two of coffee and try one of these solutions.
1) Place the filling in the bottom of a casserole dish and make a crumble of 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of flour and 1 cup of quick oats. Sprinkle on the filling and bake until golden brown. Serve with whipped cream.
2) Make a parfait. Search the refrigerator and cupboards for ingredients that can be layered in a parfait with the apple filling. Some examples may be whipped topping. pudding, yogurt, graham cracker crumbs, ginger snaps, or granola cereal.
3) Make a trifle. Use a pre-made pound cake. Prepare instant pudding. Layer the filling with cake cubes and instant pudding in large glass bowl. In this dish even crumbled pieces of crust can be incorporated in the dish. If you do not have a pound cake consider using graham crackers, twinkies, or cookies in the layers.
4) Make mini tarts. Brush melted butter on wonton wrappers and place the wrappers in mini muffin tins. Add a teaspoon of filling to each tart and bake for 5-6 minutes. Top each with a little whipped cream or ice cream.
5) Make apple crescent rolls. Using a pre-made tube of crescent dough unwrap the pastries. Add a little filling to each, roll up and bake until golden brown. Make a glaze out of a little lemon juice and powdered sugar and drizzle over the pastries.
6) Sundae topping. Serve the filling warm over ice cream with a dollop of whipped cream and a ginger snap.
7) Make a reverse sundae. Leave the pie on the bottom and drizzle with caramel topping then add a scoop of ice cream.
8) Muffins. Use a instant muffin mix and add half of the pie filling to the batter and bake. Then serve warm with a drizzle of the remaining filling and a dollop of whipped cream.
Having an apple pie not turn out as planned, is not the end of the world. There are simple solutions that can lead to an equally tasty dish and no one will know the difference.
1. The secret to prizewinning apple pie – latimes
2. The Food Lab's Apple Pie, Part 2: Perfect Apple Pie Filling | Serious …